- 18 June 2019
- 2 min read
10 secrets of the job that will make all nurses laugh (or cry)
Us nurses always talk about how rewarding our job is and that we wouldn’t want to do anything else, however, there are some secrets about the job which people don’t know about. In this blog, we run through all the things that you think but might not actually say out loud - enjoy!
1. We are so used to wearing uniform that when it comes to days off we don't know how to dress ourselves AT ALL.
What is fashion?!
2. On the topic of uniform - we are more disgusted when we spill coffee on our uniforms instead of the usual bodily fluids.
3. We don't really care what we look like at work.
Fussing over ugly shoes is a thing of the past. A full face of makeup isn't worth getting up half an hour earlier in the morning. I feel my most comfortable when I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards!
4. We can't go a day without discussing bowel habits. Ever.
Many family dinners have been ruined by me talking about what I dealt with at work the other day...
5. We love to hate medical dramas.
We watch them and pick apart every single detail, and shout at the TV when the nurse does something which definitely wouldn't happen in real life!
6. Don't get us started on paperwork.
Yes, it's important and we know why we do it. But it's another job in itself!
7. Changing between day and night shifts is the hardest thing ever.
I'm either falling asleep on shift or at home trying to catch up on sleep, but my body doesn't let me... it's a battle I always lose.
8. Our days off aren't really spent in the most productive way - i.e. by binging on Netflix rather than doing the food shop.
But, let's be honest, we deserve a break.
9. We spend half our shift wondering where our pen is, only to realise we're actually holding it...
Yes, this happens way too often!
10. Most of the time we're surviving off of very little sleep and very little energy to the point where it's tempting to hook ourselves up to an IV filled with black coffee.
Hook me up ASAP!