A new opportunity has arisen for an experienced Registered General Nurse with an interest in Ophthalmology to join our team at the Shepton Mallet NHS Treatment Centre.
With an excellent reputation The Shepton Mallet NHS Treatment Centre has been delivering high quality care to patients in Somerset for 12 years. The hospital has been assessed as top of the national PROMS table from patients having had knee replacements and eighth nationally for hip replacements. It was also recently rated ‘Outstanding’ by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in a newly published inspection report - putting it at the very top of the regulator’s quality ratings across England.
We offer a range of treatments across a number of specialities including general surgery, orthopaedics, endoscopy, ophthalmology, gastroenterology, gynaecology and urology
Lead Ophthalmology Nurse
In this role you will assist in the efficient running of the ophthalmology service and co-ordinate the patient's journey from admission to discharge.
• Organising and undertaking pre-operative assessment, including specialised biometry and ophthalmic measurements
• Participating in the glaucoma outpatient services and assisting in the development of new services within the scope of the ophthalmology speciality
• Participating in the ongoing development of the ophthalmology services within the centre
• Taking appropriate action for those patients who do not meet the inclusion criteria, managing appropriate referral onto other Consultants, or back to General Practitioners
Skills & Experience
To be successful in this role you will have:
• Extensive relevant experience in acute care or elective surgical nursing with recent experience within the specialism of ophthalmology/pre-assessment or an interest in developing skills and experience in ophthalmology
• Experience in ophthalmic day care/ short stay and inpatient nursing
• Knowledge and skills of ophthalmic surgical care provision
• Knowledge and skills in respect of ophthalmic disease e.g. glaucoma
• Up to date hands on clinical skills including phlebotomy, IV drug administration and performing ECG's
• NMC registered Nurse Level 1
Full and part time opportunities available.
Shortlisting for this role may take place as applications are received. We therefore reserve the right to close this vacancy once a suitable candidate has been appointed.
Care UK has been awarded an 8 year contract, in partnership with Somerset Partnership NHS Trust, to develop and manage the health and wellbeing campus at Shepton Mallet. This is an exciting venture, one which will give an opportunity to progress innovative ways of providing healthcare in line with the NHS Five Year Forward View’s vision of bringing care closer to home. The prospect for individuals working with us in this dynamic leading-edge environment will give professional healthcare practitioners a chance to drive improvements in local healthcare provision.
For more information please visit http:// Apply
Please note that offers of employment are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a DBS check.
At Care UK, we actively promote diversity and equal opportunities.