Lead Theatre Practitioner - Anaesthetics
Croydon, London, Greater London, England
BMI Shirley Oaks Hospital in Croyden is part of BMI Healthcare, Britain's leading provider of independent healthcare with a nationwide network of hospitals & clinics performing more complex surgery than any other private healthcare provider in the country.
We have an opportunity for a Lead Theatre Practitioner - Anaesthetics to join their team of staff in the Theatre department.
This is a FULL time role for 37.5 hours a week. The role holder will be required to cover a flexible shift pattern.
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
* Demonstrable skills and an underpinning knowledge beyond the standard level of knowledge expected of a qualified perioperative practitioner.
* Practitioners must have completed SFA accredited awards, such as an Advanced Scrub Practitioner module an SFA in-house training course developed by an individual healthcare organisation or an award or module run by a higher education institution.
* Practitioners will be required to demonstrate competence defined by the AfPP SFA Competency toolkit (AfPP 2013). AfPP recommend that job titles and job descriptions are updated to reflect the role of the SFA as defined by the PCC (2012).
* Must provide evidence of continuous competent assistance under the direct supervision of the operating surgeon, eg, logbook of procedures assisted with.
* Professional Liability insurance must be in place, and sufficient for their level of practice.
* Practitioner must be registered by respective governing body, eg NMC, HCP.
Duties of this role include:
* A Surgical First Assistant (SFA) is a registered healthcare professional who provides continuous competent and dedicated assistance under the direct supervision of the operating surgeon throughout the procedure, whilst not performing any form of surgical intervention (PCC 2012).
* Positioning the patient for the surgical procedure according to surgeon specifications.
* Protection of pressure points
* Ensure that circulation is not impaired.
* Guard against Nerve damage.
* Maintain patient normothermia
* able to use the equipment necessary to provide the position
* Assist with retraction of tissues, Suctioning, irrigating, or sponging
* Assist with haemostasis
* Cutting sutures
* Applying tourniquets and demonstrating awareness of the indications/ contraindications for use with knowledge of side effects of extended use.
* Assist with closure of skin as per surgeon's preference.
* Application of dressing as per surgeon's preference
* Assistance in securing drainage systems to tissue.
Please see attached role profile for further detailed information on the responsibilities and accountabilities of this vacancy.
Salary & Benefits:
BMI Healthcare offers a competitive starting salary and offers access to a wide range of employee benefits, including:
* BMI Healthcare Scheme
* Childcare Vouchers
* Staff Pension Scheme
* 25 days holiday per annum
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please complete our brief online application form and ensure to upload the most recent copy of CV. We aim to respond to your application within 14 days of the closing date.
- £ 32000 - 36000 Per year
- Full time
- Job Level
- Qualified (non-manager)
Posted 11 Aug 2017
Closes 8 Sep 2017
This job was posted to: Theatre nurse