City of Westminster, London, Greater London, England
Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in London and the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this providing clinical expertise in Obstetrics, Paediatrics and Women's Health.
As the only fully private maternity hospital in the UK, The Portland Hospital places emphasis on safety and quality as well as providing a premier service to all our women. With approximately 2,000 deliveries a year, our ethos is to put women at the centre of their own maternity care and empower them to make decisions about how they want to give birth, all with the highest in healthcare quality and safety. The maternity unit currently has 18 inpatient beds as well as a 5 bedded delivery suite with a birthing pool, an emergency maternity theatre and HDU facilities. Outpatients provide a maternity day assessment, ultrasound scanning and a wide range of birth preparation classes. There are also 6 cots within the neonatal unit which provides Level 2 neonatal care to newborns.
To provide a high standard of care within the maternity setting following guidelines of clinical governance and professional standards. To work within the midwifery team to provide antenatal, intranatal and postnatal care. Working alongside Obstetric Consultants colleagues to support Consultant Led Care within the maternity service. To provide management and leadership to all staff in the absence of the sister. To promote a positive customer care approach which enhances the profile of both the hospital and organisation and to ensure budgetary controls and goals are achieved.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To demonstrate good clinical practice at all times in the provision of antenatal, intranatal and postnatal care.
- To work autonomously within guidelines and the sphere of professional practice.
- To provide midwifery advice to support and facilitate high quality, individualised care to women and their families without supervision, in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team.
- Work with the ward sister in the management of the clinical area. This will involve dealing with complex situations and having to take appropriate action in emergency or unforeseen situations.
- To provide care throughout the maternity unit as required to meet the needs of service.
- Establish effective communication and working relationships with both internal and external customers and health care professionals.
- To be competent in the use of all relevant HCA International IT systems ensuring that all data is entered both accurately and timely, in accordance with HCA International policy.
- Demonstrable knowledge and a minimum of 2 years experience as a Midwife, including experience working within the NHS setting.
- NMC Registered as a Midwife
- Basic Adult and Newborn Life Support
- Understanding of Safeguarding issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Competent with computers and able to use clinical systems
- Excellent clinical governance and experience with audits
- Ability to work within a team and independently
- Teaching and mentoring experience
- ALSO and NALS qualification
- WHO Baby Friendly trained
- Demonstrates evidence of applying current research to practice
- Competent at cannulation
About The Individual
The successful candidate will be caring but assertive, with the ability to lead and use one's own initiative. They will be reliable and punctual with good time management skills and must be flexible to the needs of the department and have awareness and understanding of cross cultural needs.
- £ 35673 - 40401 Per year
- Full time
- Job Level
- Qualified (non-manager)
Posted 10 Jan 2017
Closes 7 Feb 2017
This job was posted to: Ward Midwife