Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in London and the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this providing clinical expertise in Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Women`s Health.
The Paediatric department has been consistently growing over the past few years, almost doubling since 2008. We have 45 inpatient beds + 11 day case. The Paediatric Intensive Care Unit is a new addition to our clinical service portfolio and has been operational since November 2011. We are a spacious, modern 7 bed unit and are equipped with the latest technology to provide advanced respiratory and organ support all of which is medically supported by our team of Consultant Paediatric Intensivists 24/7. Our nursing ratio is 1:1 which reflects the acuity of the children who are admitted to our unit.
Salary: £31,630- £35,822 per annum + 9% shift enhancement
If you have done the Paediatric ICU course we will reward you with and additional £3000 pa
- The post holder, once initially trained as required, will be responsible and accountable for the assessment of required care and the development, implementation and evaluation of holistic care for children in a critical care setting
- To communicate effectively at all levels within the multi-disciplinary team
- To promote a progressive attitude to the continual improvement of patient care through research, evidence based practice and the developmental of additional clinical skills in the speciality
- To assist in the safe, effective and efficient management of the department with allocated resources
Duties & Responsibilities
- To ensure that each child is assessed and that their care is planned, implemented and evaluated in a family centred way and to ensure accurately documented.
- Provide care with a developing clinical understanding of the therapies and drugs used within Paediatric ICU.
- Understands the correct use and assembly of required equipment within Paediatric ICU, understand safety precautions and ensure appropriate cleaning of equipment
- To be competent in the administration of medication, including intravenous routes
- Maintaining and monitoring levels of stock to ensure there are adequate levels of supplies
- To ensure clinical practice is evidence based or peer reviewed
- To develop defined skills in communicating complex and sensitive information effectively to patients, carers and other staff, overcoming any barriers to understanding and providing support during distressing or emotional events and seeking advice or guidance where necessary
- To develop open and trusting relationships with other members of the multidisciplinary team, other departments and community services as necessary
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience as a Children's Nurse either in a High Dependency Unit, NICU or PICU
- NMC Registered- the child branch of the NMC register.
- Basic/Intermediate Paediatric Life Support
- Understanding of Safeguarding issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Competent with computers and able to use clinical systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent clinical governance and experience with audits
- Ability to work within a team and independently
- ENB 415/405/100 or a Paediatric/Neonatal critical care pathway award
- Foundation studies in paediatric intensive care nursing
- Teaching and mentoring experience
- Supervision and management experience
- Demonstrates evidence of applying current research to practice
Join the leaders in private healthcare
Unrivalled expertise. The latest innovations. All that’s missing is you.
HCA Healthcare UK is one of the UK’s leading private healthcare providers. With six world-renowned hospitals in London and an expanding network of cutting-edge partnership facilities up and down the country, we’re a destination of choice for patients and healthcare professionals alike. Our achievements have been recognised by the LaingBuisson Independent Healthcare Awards 2016, the HealthInvestor Awards and the International Medical Travel Journal Awards.
If you’re looking for a rewarding career in nursing, look no further. At HCA UK you’ll take pride in working with top consultants and leading-edge technology to deliver exceptional acute and complex care. And through our relocation support programme, you’ll be able to do so at renowned facilities like The Portland Hospital and London Bridge Hospital. What’s more, whether you’re in oncology, PICU, paediatrics or neuro-rehab, you’ll get exceptional training at our Learning Academy.
As well as support from leading specialists and the latest technology, we also offer our employees a host of benefits that go above and beyond – from private healthcare and critical illness insurance, to staff discounts and paid study leave.
The Harley Street Clinic, The Lister Hospital, London Bridge Hospital, LOC, The Portland Hospital, The Princess Grace Hospital, The Wellington Hospital