Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in London and the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this providing clinical expertise in Obstetrics, Paediatrics and Women`s Health.
As the only fully private maternity hospital in the UK, The Portland Hospital places emphasis on safety and quality as well as providing a premier service to all our women. There are approximately 2,000 deliveries a year and our ethos is to put women at the centre of their own maternity care and empower them to make decisions about how they want to give birth, all with the highest in healthcare quality and safety. The maternity unit currently has 18 inpatient beds as well as a 5 bedded delivery suite with a birthing pool, an emergency maternity theatre and obstetric HDU facilities. Outpatients provide a maternity day assessment, ultrasound scanning and a wide range of birth preparation classes. There are also 6 cots within the neonatal unit which provides Level 2 neonatal care to newborns.
Salary: £35,673 - £40,401 - Office hours: Mon-Friday- full time
Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead on all Antenatal and Newborn Screening Programmes including:
- Infectious diseases in pregnancy, including HIV Sickle cell and thalassaemia, Fetal anomaly, Newborn hearing, Newborn blood spot, Newborn physical examination.
- To provide a full range of health education, advice, support, psychological and social care advice to women whilst undergoing screening.
- Educate midwives on antenatal screening tests, processes for monitoring and recording results.
- Provide face to face appointments with women to discuss increased risks identified in first trimester screening providing information and counselling prior to testing and informing results to women consenting to invasive prenatal diagnosis for chromosome abnormalities, genetic syndromes and haemoglobinopathys.
- Support the Antenatal Outpatients Lead by working clinical shifts as required to meet and support women in the antenatal setting.
- Obtain and collate routine data for recording statistics locally and nationally.
- Represent The Portland at London Screening Network meetings.
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of close work relationships with Obstetric Consultant colleagues to support all provision of care within the maternity service. Communicate effectively at all levels within the multi-disciplinary team.
- To continually develop the provision of midwifery care by leading by example and supporting the midwifery team to develop their clinical skills and knowledge in relation to screening.
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable knowledge and a minimum of 3 years' experience practising as a Midwife
- NMC Registered as a Midwife
- Teaching and mentoring experience with ENB 997 or equivalent
- Good understanding and experience of Antenatal and Newborn Screening programmes
- Basic Adult and Newborn Life Support
- Safeguarding Level 3 training
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Competent with computers and able to use clinical systems
- Excellent understanding of clinical governance and experience with audits and action plans
- Ability to work within a team and independently
- Competent at cannulation and venepuncture
- Current ALSO and NLS qualification
- Counselling qualification
- Previous experience in a screening role
- Evidence of applying current research to practice
Join the leaders in private healthcare
Unrivalled expertise. The latest innovations. All that’s missing is you.
HCA Healthcare UK is one of the UK’s leading private healthcare providers. With six world-renowned hospitals in London and an expanding network of cutting-edge partnership facilities up and down the country, we’re a destination of choice for patients and healthcare professionals alike. Our achievements have been recognised by the LaingBuisson Independent Healthcare Awards 2016, the HealthInvestor Awards and the International Medical Travel Journal Awards.
If you’re looking for a rewarding career in nursing, look no further. At HCA UK you’ll take pride in working with top consultants and leading-edge technology to deliver exceptional acute and complex care. And through our relocation support programme, you’ll be able to do so at renowned facilities like The Portland Hospital and London Bridge Hospital. What’s more, whether you’re in oncology, PICU, paediatrics or neuro-rehab, you’ll get exceptional training at our Learning Academy.
As well as support from leading specialists and the latest technology, we also offer our employees a host of benefits that go above and beyond – from private healthcare and critical illness insurance, to staff discounts and paid study leave.
The Harley Street Clinic, The Lister Hospital, London Bridge Hospital, LOC, The Portland Hospital, The Princess Grace Hospital, The Wellington Hospital